Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Easy Side Dish - Cheesy Broccoli Orzo

I love cooking.  I love spending time finding recipes to try and them finding ways to tweak them for the next time :)  J and I just started meal planning a week at a time.  It makes it so much easier to grocery shop once a week with our meals in mind AND we are cleaning out the fridge by eating the food instead of throwing it away.  I'm also a Pinterest addict so I scour for recipes to try all the time.  Justin and I have been in a side dish rut.  I'm tired of making just a solitary main dish and no side, or making rice over and over again.  I went on the hunt for an easy side dish that added a little punch of veggies and I found the perfect compliment to so many of our meals.

Enter.....Cheesy Broccoli Orzo.

This stuff is DELICIOUS!  So fast to make and packs a nice flavor punch.  Bonus - I get to mix in Broccoli and not be boring.

Original Recipe

1 cup orzo
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4-1/2 cup 2% milk
salt










1. Boil water and salt.  Add in orzo and boil for 3 minutes
2. Add Broccoli Florets and boil for 2 more minutes (or until orzo is tender)
3. Drain.  Double check and drain again (broccoli holds water)
4. Put orzo and broccoli back into the pot and stir in cheeses, butter and milk.   


My twists.....
Depending on my main course I will season with a variety of my favorites.  

1. Toss in some garlic with the boiling water and add a dash or two of pepper with the cheese.
2. Put a few dashes of lemon juice in the boiling water and add a dash of lemon pepper seasoning and dill with the cheese.
3.  Want something a bit spicy?  Mix in some garlic with the boiling water and add some chili pepper and crushed red pepper with the cheese.



Or be creative and mix your own!  What would you try?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment