Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Three Weeks

This is the third week I've been working from home.  With the kids.  Alone.
Justin is still going into the office because he's essential (bank officer) and he's the busiest he's ever been.  Which is both a blessing and a curse.

It's hard to be productive with young children interrupting you every 30 seconds.  However, we've started to find a routine that works for us.  There is definitely more screen time than I'd like, but what else am I going to do when I'm on a conference call?  The weather hasn't been cooperating for us either.  We are currently under a winter weather advisory and the boys don't like playing outside for long when it's freezing cold.  Walks aren't as frequent either since the wind still feels like ice.

I've also come to realize that Stay at Home moms have it MADE.  If I wasn't working and just able to spend the days with my boys, we would be having the BEST time.  Making all kinds of delicious food, playing fun games, doing the occasional craft, and taking family naps.  I will forever side eye SAHM's who say it's hard.

Perks to working from home?
Oh yeah, there are a few.

1. Staying in comfy clothes all day.  Slippers, joggers, sweaters.  You name it.  Which leads to...

2. Less laundry.  The boys want to stay in pajamas all day too!  They put on clean pajamas after bath and I have half the amount of clothes to wash.

3. Staying on top of chores.  I love being able to swap laundry between emails and empty the dishwasher during lunch.

4. Getting all of this time with my boys.  I've watched their bond deepen and their ability to play together strengthen.  I love that they have this extra time to focus on family.

5. No makeup, all of the skin care, and working on extending my hair training. #pleasedontfacetime

There are a few cons too
1. My house is messier.  Being home all day means the boys are making messes all day.  Which means I need to mop and wipe everything down every night.
It's a happy trade off.

2. We are paying for a school my kids are not going to.
With me working all day, I'm not homeschooling them either.
So that's fun.

3. Missing my workouts.  I'm not the best at working from home and with my gym closed, it's a total first world problem.  However it did wonders for my mental health.  I need some great home Pilates and Yoga videos.  Suggestions?

4. Meals aren't better than before.
Did I mention I'm still working?  I don't have any extra time to plan fancier meals than what's already on rotation.  I'm still meal planning on the weekends because I work right up to when I need to make dinner, and then sit back down at the computer once Justin gets home finish up.


All in all, I'm so glad that we are home and healthy.  We've been home since March 16th (the boys had a half day at preschool and I had a half day at work) and Justin hasn't had contact with the public at work since March 23rd.  We stocked up pretty well on non-perishables the weekend prior to staying home, but I have a Wal-Mart pickup order for tomorrow.  I pray that I can clean everything before it's brought into the house.  I pray you're all healthy too.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment