Friday, August 10, 2018

Five on Friday - Hospital Bag Essentials

 With my first baby I read all the blog posts and pinned all the pinterest tips.
And laughed at myself in the hospital.
I overpacked and underused.  BIG TIME.

I have no desire to stay in the hospital 'as long as insurance will cover'.  Heck to the no.  I want out right away!  Though - last time my husband invited his entire family to meet the baby.
#nothappy
That also required me to get dressed and look "presentable" while everyone passed the baby around and wanted to chit chat.  All while I was sore, wearing a diaper, and trying to figure out how to nurse.

This time - no visitors.
I really don't feel like hosting guests in my hospital room while I'm trying to recover.
You mama's know what I mean - bleeding, sweating, nursing, and bonding with your precious new baby.

With that in mind I packed the following

1.
Coming home outfit - for me and baby - and pajamas for dad.


Mine consisted of stretchy yoga pants, nursing cami, cardigan (with no buttons or zippers!) and slip on shoes.  Baby had two outfits packed.  Depending on gender ;)
When Justin left to pick up #wiggydiggy to come meet his new brother, he stopped at home first to change his clothes.

Once I was admitted, I only wore the hospital gown they gave me (hello bodily fluids and such).
#meshpantiesforlife

2.
My favorite nursing friend and perfect pillow for dad to sleep on :)


3.
My travel bag of toiletries.
The hospital shampoo and conditioner leave a lot to be desired.  I only took one shower in the hospital, but it was so nice to use my own products.
Yes, I did pack make-up.  Just the bare bones - light foundation, concealer, and mascara.  Shout out to my favorite lipstick!  It stayed on through labor and delivery!
Even though I felt like I had been run over by a truck and finished off by a steam roller, I felt more like myself when I freshened up and got ready to head home.

4.
Between Justin and myself, at least one phone was plugged in at all times.

5.
My manila file of important documents
This included everything for insurance and work benefits that I needed my doctor or hospital staff to sign.  I also put in all of the documents I received from the hospital.

Everything was packed in our favorite diaper bag:
Pottery Barn Classic Bag

I don't use the bag on a daily basis - I have a insert for my purse with the essentials.  This bag is our standard travel baby bag.  We have it in gray and I LOVE it.  I can see the boys using it as a overnight or weekender bag when they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment