Friday, March 8, 2019

5 on Friday - Updates

A quick update

1.
Sleep Training

We were hit with the flu after a WEEK of great sleep.  So we are back to square one.
😒

We started again last night since we are only dealing with runny noses now.  I have hopes we'll be back to great sleep by this weekend.

2.
ThredUp Goody Box

I received my second Favorites Box yesterday and I LOVED IT!!
Some items didn't fit (long torso problems) but man on man did I want them too.
I kept a pair of skinny jeans ($17!), a wool sweater  ($18!), and a pair of nine west heels ($22!).
I couldn't have bought any of the items at full price for what I spent buying them second hand!!
Click this link to save $10!!

3.
Skin Care Update

I've been using a Vitamin C serum (first this and now this) and while I don't have anything negative to say about them, I asked my esthetician what serum I should be using.  She recommended Murad Revitalixir Recovery Serum (she sells it for WAY less than Amazon.  Don't buy it there).  So far, so good!

She recommends I only use it in the morning.  If you have ANY skin issues, I cannot recommend finding a great esthetician enough.  They can help you figure out what will work best for your skin to get the results you want.

4.
Sickness

Oh yeah, #wiggydiggy caught the flu.  A very very mild case though.  Ran a fever for just over 24 hours and no other symptoms besides being tired.  #biggywigs seemed to have only caught a head cold (thank goodness!)  I really do put a lot of stock in elderberry gummies/syrups.  Justin and I had no symptoms, and #wiggydiggy's were so mild that had he not run a fever, I may have not taken him to the Dr.

We love these gummies (our local CVS has coupons right now!)  We get the adult version for us.

5.
Meal Time

We no longer use the coin reward chart - so reference to reward coins is no longer applicable.

I received quite a few questions on meal planning for two weeks
How?
Why?
etc.

How?  Justin and I make sure our calendars are updated and we discuss any evening conflicts before we pick out the menu.  I made a basic template on Word and printed 30 copies (I need to find a whiteboard to replace it), then we go through and fill in meals we want.  We have a lot of repetition of meals we like (Butter Chicken, Taco's, Spaghetti).  Every Friday is homemade pizza night.  We also schedule leftover nights - there are at least two a week.

The first 6 weeks were the hardest with grocery shopping.  I do a big run every two weeks - Wal Mart and Costco with a small run on the alternate weeks (bread, milk, fruit, eggs, etc.  normally under $20)  I had to make sure we had enough of everything to last the full two weeks of meals and it required buying a few more items to stock up our pantry.  We're past the growing pains now, and grocery shopping costs have significantly dropped off.

I think that is the challenge lots of people face when they move to meal planning - the initial uptick in grocery costs while they are stocking their pantry.
For example, I buy as much non perishables in bulk so that I'm not having to buy them as often (think seasonings, soups, frozen veggies).  Where before I would have bought one Onion soup mix or the small bag of frozen broccoli to make one meal, I'm buying the box of soup mix packets for 2-3 times the cost (but at 2-3 times the savings!) or the Costco size frozen broccoli (which is twice the cost, but have 4 times the servings).

This weekend is my 'big' shopping week and my list is a total of 9 items.  9! 

Why?  We both work and we have two kids.  This saves time and money.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment