Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Birthday Recap

AKA - a post with no photos

For my birthday, I really wanted to have a mini getaway.  My girl friend who got married this past summer had really wanted a spa weekend in Whitefish as a bachlorette party, so I combined her wish with my birthday weekend and viola!

We got out of town for 36 hours with another great couple we adore.

It was the weekend of gaffs and face palms and we had the best time.

The plan was - boys would head up to the ski hill for the day and us girls would spend the day being pampered.

The Reality:

We drove up separately (totally fine) but Justin and I were worried on the drive up.  The wind was HOWLING.  3 hours of vicious wind made us doubt the ski hill would be open.
Highlight - a moose crossed the road in front of us!  Crazy! 
(I'm kicking myself for not grabbing my phone in time)

Justin and I got to town first and we stopped at the Ski Haus so he could pick up some thinner wool ski socks.  Our friends got a little lost, but after a bit we found each other in the parking lot.  We agreed to find our AirBNB and then make plans.

The Reality:

The power went out.  In ALL OF WHITEFISH.  Justin and I lucked out by leaving Ski Haus right before the power went down.

The wind had picked up and the boys checked the ski hill - lifts were down.  BOO.  So we all decided to head to the Lodge were Amy and I had pampering plans.
Thankfully they had power.  We were able to eat lunch and we tried to replan our day.  Mani/Pedi's were out of the question because of the lack of power.  Jake convinced Justin to get a shave, so we decided to head back downtown until our spa appointment.

We wandered around the shops with no power (so only cash purchases!) when the power came back on.  The boys booked it over to the barber to get their shaves and Amy and I headed to the spa.

Spa was HEAVEN.

Hours later, in the POURING rain, we headed out to meet the boys at the AirBnb.
We freshened up and headed out to dinner - only to realize we never made reservations anywhere!  Face palm.

We tried a new place.   Spoiler alert - it was horrible.   We attempted to find live music but ended up staying at the first bar and just having the best time.

We decided to head back to veg in our jammies and listen to 90s rap.  Lots of delicious chips and dip later, we crashed.

Only for me to be awoken after an hour to the most obnoxious alarm.  Somehow everyone else was sleeping through it.  I contacted the owners (they live above their rental) and 30 minutes later of chaos it was discovered to be their septic tank alarm.

JOY.
No showers in the AM for us.
The owners were amazing and refunded 50% of the stay, but what a cluster!  Haha.

Silver lining - on the drive home Justin and I saw 5 bald eagles and two wolves.
So that was fun.

Nothing went according to plan, but I had such a fun time.  I'm already looking forward to another weekend away in Whitefish :)
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, what horrible luck!! haha. Glad you still enjoyed it even with all the snafus. :)

    ReplyDelete