Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Recipe Roundup

Yesterday I talked about a few things I had baked over the weekend.

Chocolate No Bake Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Cake Loaf

Chocolate No Bake Cookies are a staple in my dessert snack rotation.  As is a variation of Pumpkin Spice Cake Loaf.   I've made Baked Ziti before, but this time I was short an ingredient but decided to go on ahead.  Lesson learned.  

Chocolate No Bake Cookies - you can find a million recipes for these on the internet.  My favorite:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in saucepan.  Bring to boil and boil for ONE FULL MINUTE.  Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter and vanilla until melted.  Stir in oatmeal until blended.
Drop on wax paper and let cool (about 30 min).

I only had two cups oatmeal left in my container this weekend. The cookies are just a tad too crumbly but they still taste delicious.

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies - I used a Pinterest Pin that lead to this website: http://www.essentiallyeclectic.com/2013/09/pumpkin-spice-krispie-treats-festive.html
My thoughts - it's not "pumpkin spice" enough.  Really it tastes like slightly less sweet Rice Krispies, which isn't too bad.  But I think I'll add more spice if I make them again.

Pumpkin Spice Cake Loaf - I normally make muffins, not a loaf, but the process is the same.
One can Pumpkin (I scooped out a spoonful to use in the Rice Krispies)
One cake mix box.  I prefer to use Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe.
Any additional add in's.  I.E. Chocolate chips, nuts, etc
Stir together until fully blended.  Bake as directed on box.

My personal favorite combinations are: 
Plain Spice Cake
Spice Cake and White Chocolate Chips
Devils Food and Chocolate Chips
Yellow Cake and Cinnamon Chips

It's super easy, super fast and super delicious.  They also freeze really well!

Baked Ziti

Ok.  I'll be honest.  I've never really "followed" a recipe on this one.  I've just seen some pictures of the process and decided to attempt it one day willy nilly.  The first few times it turned out delicious.  This time, I was short an ingredient and really didn't feel like running to the store so I tried to make it anyways.  It's a bit dry, but still yummy.

The main ingredients:
Pasta
Alfredo Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
9x13 baking dish

I've mixed up the pasta and have used spaghetti, ziti, bowtie and penne.  Personally I like penne the best.  I also make my own spaghetti sauce with ground beef, tomato sauce and seasoning.  But canned is just fine!

Preheat oven to 350.
Cook pasta according to al dente directions.  Brown beef and make sauce while pasta is cooking.
Drain pasta and toss with alfredo sauce lightly.  You only want the pasta coated, not soaking in the sauce.
Layer pasta in baking dish and cover in spaghetti sauce.
Top layer is Mozzarella Cheese, put in oven until cheese has melted. (around 15 minutes)

I was short alfredo sauce, so it's harder to reheat the leftovers without drying it out too much.  Justin loved it so much, I'm going to have to make it again next week!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment