Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe Update

In November I wrote about my progress on That Whole Capsule Thing.  Now that I'm a few months post baby, I've been able to pare down my closet quite a bit more.  My beloved J. Crew pants are now too snug.  Dang hips spreading!  I've also realized that while I'm in the breastfeeding stage of life, I'm still in a holding state of a few items of clothing.  I'm keeping my outfits focused on easy access, which means I have quite a few tops and dresses that aren't wearable for the foreseeable future.

I read this article that really hit home.  Many years ago when I lived in Lincoln, NE, I had a part time job at The Limited.  (I only worked there for the clothes.  Pretty sure I paid them more than they ever paid me!)  I often scored killer deals on cute clothes, but ended up wearing the same thing every day.  Black dress pants, cami, and either a cardigan or turtleneck.  In the summer I'd occasionally wear a pencil skirt instead of pants.

My work attire took no thought and I knew that I looked professional every day.  I had more fun with my casual attire, but working three jobs kept me in a similar look at least 6 days a week.  As I've gotten older I am still drawn to the same look.  When I pull out my weeks worth of clothes every Sunday, the outfits are all very similar.  Button down, dress pants/skirt, heels.  And for casual attire - I just change into jeans.


With this "uniform" in mind, I've been able to remove quite a few more items from my closet with out a second thought.  I have another bag of clothes on their way to ThredUp and a handful more to list on Poshmark.

I have five variations of outfits I wear on a regular basis:
Dress Pants/Skirt, Button Down
Jeans, Button Down or Cardigan
Leggings, Boots, Tunic Sweater
Shorts, Button Down or Tee
Dress

Now onto pictures!  I know, you are just dying to see my closet.....right?  Haha.
Heel rack - made by J
His clothes are on the right

Empty space between hangers!!

Shoe rack made by J.  It's the first time all my shoes have space!

No overflow!  For the first time in.......?  Forever, I think it's forever.

I'm so glad that I decided to attempt the Capsule wardrobe.  I know that I'll never make it to the '30 items per season' because I love clothes too much.   My biggest take-away was my 'uniform'.  I wear the same five styles, but I had a closet jam packed with clothes I never wore.  Cutting back to my essentials made me realize how much excess I really had.  #firstworldproblems


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment